Wednesday, August 22, 2012

One Full Week Tomorrow!

I haven't posted anything since I arrived ... a little jet lag, a little lesson planning ... SCHOOL STARTED!   So I am going to try and catch up on what has happened, and show you a few pictures.  :-)

The campus here is quite lovely, and I really hadn't felt like I was in another country really, except for the fact we're surrounded by mountains and have had extreme humidity.  Yesterday wasn't so bad, and today was ok.  The size of the hills/mountains and the humidity together is not like anything back home.  However, I was reminded of working at summer camp in Indiana, and the very hot, very humid days we had at least once a week. 

I walked into my classroom, and discovered the air conditioning in my classroom wasn't working properly.  OIY!  I felt like I was melting right into the floor.  I'm surprised I made it of there walking, and not slithering.

We've been together now three days, and already I feel attached to my new students.  They are a great group of teenagers.  Pretty typical teens the world round, but there are a few differences as well.  Just an example, even though they don't always speak up in class discussions (they are better now then they were their first term I understand), I will often get questions from many, to help clarify an assignment or question outside of class.  LOL!  Just as I was writing this, one of my students sent me an email asking me if he could possibly re-do one of his assignments since he had been confused about what he was answering so that he could could "increase the points."  This is a student who's overall grade so far is an A, even with this one assignment with a B-, but he wants to improve it.  I'm hoping that the motivation isn't just to improve the grade, but also to show that he wants to also improve his understanding and show that he does.  He is a neat kid, who I think will be a real joy to have in the classroom.  It is a small enough group, that I know most of the students, there are a few that I don't exactly know who they are, mostly sophomores who aren't in my classes, but I have been meeting them as they come into the staff room for different things.  Of course, there are a couple students that are so reserved that I haven't got a real feeling for where they are at yet.  I want to find something that will help get them engaged in the class and also feeling free to talk with me about various things, including, but not limited to their schoolwork.

I've been into the little town we are next too, and also the city that is close by to do some shopping.  Of course, I have forgotten to pick up certain items that I need.  LAUNDRY SOAP!  Though it is a different culture, of course, I feel like I can be quite comfortable here. More so, when I learn a little more Korean.  :-)  The Korean teacher at our school today asked if I really was interested in learning Korean.  I told her, YES, very much so.  I would be so delighted to take a Korean language class from here.  She seemed to be a little surprised that so many of us were interested, but also pleased.  WOOHOO!  I'm not sure when we will start, but I"m pretty excited about it. 

Oh lands!  I rambled an awful lot, it isn't really all that interesting and my grammar could use some help.  I've been rather tired all day today, so perhaps I should just go to bed now ....

I leave you with a few views of the campus from last Sabbath...




Goodnight  :-)  Or good morning ....

No comments:

Post a Comment